Sunday, January 11, 2015

Best of the Best Reading 2014

Source: OpenClipart.org
Normally, I don't do "Best of" lists but after seeing a few other librarians saying that they're reading them or just trying to expand on their reading, I decided to join in as well. Why? Mainly because I tend to believe I should read what I find interesting, not what everyone else thinks is cool. I do admit that if a book becomes wildly popular, it is very hard for me to read it during the hype. I have to get to it either before the hype or way, way after the fact.

On the flip side, I'm missing out on a lot of great stuff. Just looking at some Best of lists for Youth books, I've done ok in YA but missed a lot of chapter books and picture books (remember, I'm a Youth Librarian by day). I'm generally aware of what's getting the hype, but don't always read it or I save it for later. So enter my reading the Best of Lists.

Youth

For Youth, I've selected the Notable Children's Books of 2014. It's short and sweet with about 6-10 books in each section. I can do that.

After that, I'm going to try School Library Journal's Best of 2014 list. At 70 books, that seems like a lot, but I'm hoping some ground has been covered in the first list.

Graphic Novels

I really hate to admit I have no idea where to start in finding a "Best of 2014 Graphic Novels List." That's not good and won't do. In the spirit of being a better resource (because if this week showed me anything, it's that people see me as a resource), I started to seek out lists.

To make it easy on myself I've started with these since they cover a lot of the same ground and are sources that the average person might use:
Now, if I really feel up to it, I might poke at this list from ComicsAlliance. It looks fun with all their "Best of Categories" but it was originally 5 parts and is a hefty list. I don't want to
overwhelm myself (a bad habit I have) so I'm listing it for you to check out. I will also look at ALA's list for teens when it comes out at the end of the month and will probably grumble about half of it like I usually do.

EDIT (1/13/15): Here's another list to consider: IGN's Best of Comics List.

Will there be reviews of graphic novels? Maybe. It depends. Some I do have on hand because I was already supposed to review them for the county library sysem. If you want to see reviews, let me know either in person on in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment