Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Andre the Giant: Life and Legend


Andre the Giant : life and legend 
Title: Andre The Giant: Life and Legend
Author: Box Brown
Illustrator:  Box Brown
Publisher:  First Second (:01)
Copyright:  2014
Price: $17.99
ISBN: 978-1596438514
-----------
Summary and Quick Thoughts: Andre the Giant was a wrestling legend in his time. Due to a condition, Andre grew and grew over time, which made him world-famous and the loveable giant in The Princess Bride. It also gave him constant pain. Box Brown writes a graphic novel biography that showcases Andre the Giant's Career and life.
---------  
Recommended Audience: high school/adults
 --------  
Things to be aware of: drinking, wrestling
----------  
Further Thoughts:  My first exposure to the name "Andre the Giant" was when I watched The Princess Bride with a relative. It was after 7th grade, the movie was awesome and I watched it a few times. When the giant came on, the relative said "Isn't that Andre the Giant?" I was like "I don't know."

Wrestling for me has always been on the fringes. I knew Hulk Hogan simply by name. Some friends were into it. I wasn't sure I could get into it, but I think it was one of the things we weren't allowed to watch. When my husband saw this on my review pile, he was like "read it!" Why? 1.) It's Andre the Giant. 2.) Box Brown is local to us.

So imagine my surprised when I enjoyed this book. I'm not a sports fan (except baseball), but Box Brown tells this story with humor, emotion, and insight all with the use of black and white and shadows. Brown also did his research. There is a huge bibliography and a great introduction to the wrestling scene. He took artistic liberties as needed, but I don't think it detracts from the history (I say this not knowing anything on Andre the Giant).

By the end of the book, I wanted to know more about Andre the Giant. I was surprised at who he was. In some ways, he lived up to the Giant in The Princess Bride. In other areas, he was a jerk, but overall, Brown shows that Andre was human, which is what I come away with after reading this biography.

Overall feeling: Have it for Princess Bride movie fans. Have it for wrestling fans. As far as non-fiction/biography graphic novels go, this is a strong one. I'd get it for my library and personal collection.

--------------  
Source: Library/Review

No comments:

Post a Comment