Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Bride of the Water God - vol. 4

Title: Bride of the Water God vol. 4
Author: Mi-Kyung Yun
Illustrator: Mi-Kyung Yun
Publisher: Dark Horse Manhwa
Copyright: 2009 (2007 original)
Price: $9.95
ISBN: 978-1-59582-378-6
-----------
Summary and Quick Thoughts: Soah has returned home and has agreed to be married. In only two weeks she will be married but she is already having second thoughts. Mui tries again to see if she remembers, but fails. On one last attempt, he steals her away and they return to his home. At the moment, it seems Habaek/Mui has won the bet with his mother, but she has another trick up her sleeve. In this volume, we also learn that even Habaek/Mui cannot trust everyone and the truth of Nakbin is partially revealed, but who killed her or is she really alive? In this compelling installment, the reader feels that things are resolved, until the last page which houses a killer cliffhanger.
---------
Will Teens Like It? Mature Twilight readers may enjoy the dynamic between Soah and Habaek/Mui.
--------
Things to be aware of: sexual situations, violence
----------
Further Thoughts: Honestly, I picked up this title and once I started, I zipped through the pages until I reached the last page which had a simple statement but a major plot point. I gasped and shouted to The Philosopher Musician that I couldn’t believe I read all that the library system had at that time (since this review they have gotten 5 and 6 which I hope to review but I forget the cliffhanger!).

Upon my second, more thorough reading, I was able to focus more on the order of the plot, and focus on the artwork. Once again, Yun’s style and art sweeps me away into this fantasy world where Mui selfishly loves Soah, although he won’t admit it publicly. Is this related to the past? In this particular work, I noticed small details that I had missed on the first reading, namely a very tiny image of Mui crying over Soah as she, I assume leaves for her home.

My only complaint of this story is that Mui is a bit possessive of Soah, yet at the same time, he really wants her to be able to make her own choices, not those pressed upon her by her family. Her only chance to make such decisions is with him and while he is possessive, he does seem to let her grow into herself with her own thoughts and opinions. It is also clear she belongs in his kingdom and not on earth. In some ways, this does parallel the Edward/Bella love story of the infamous Twilight. Something about this doesn’t seem as “stalkerish” as Twilight, though, but maybe that is because I’m willing to suspend belief and Soah is a stronger heroine than Bella. I look forward to upcoming issues as the lovers face more troubles ahead.
------
Bonus: This is more of a rant, but I do wish that manga/manhwa American publishers would speed up the publications of series. I really hate waiting three months for the next book and have forgotten to pick up the next volume of a series because of this (Tramps Like Us). This one has nagged at me so much I remembered, but on the other hand, I now can’t remember the cliffhanger. (This review was written in June 2010, this bonus February 2011). Since June, I’ve only seen the particular library system add 5 and 6, and we’re waiting on 7.
------
Source:
Library copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment