Sunday, June 10, 2012

Chopsticks: A Novel

Title: Chopsticks: A Novel
Author: Jessica Anthony
Illustrator: Rodrigo Corral
Publisher: Razorbill (Penguin Group)
Copyright: 2012
Price: $19.99
ISBN: 978-1-59514-435-5
-----------
Summary and Quick Thoughts: Piano prodigy Glory Fleming is bored, lonely, and tired of being forced into something she is not. She just wants to be a teenager, especially when she falls for the mysterious neighbor boy, Frank. As the two grow closer together, Glory’s playing falls apart. She stops mid performances and often finds herself breaking into themes and variations of “Chopsticks.” Essentially, readers work through Glory’s world before her disappearance and you are left to wonder what was real and what was not.
---------
Recommended Audience: high school
--------
Things to be aware of: nudity (drawings); swearing
----------
Further Thoughts: I know. This is not a graphic novel, but oddly enough, I could picture libraries placing this in the graphic novel section because the library just wasn’t sure how and where to catalog it. So, I read it and here’s my review:

It is a pretty work, but I’m confused and this book unsettled me.

I know I’m supposed to recognize that Frank was a figment of her imagination, but I’m so confused because of the evidence presented. I saw the overlaps easily in school logos and timing in regards to things that involved him and her, but still, I find myself confused by something. I think it is because he was actually presented as a physical person. I look at spreads to see the clues and I do, but my mind can’t process it like I think I’m supposed to. There are lots of positive reviews out there and I must admit I was interested in reading it. The only thing that makes sense to me is that she plays “Chopsticks” when she wants to imagine him or think of him because of the mention of notes F and G.

This is not a graphic novel. It is a scrap book and I suspect that the library copy I have has it in the right spot: Fiction. I think a professional journal called it a graphic novel while another called it fiction. I feel the photos and the lack of a comic book feel is what tips the scales for me regarding this book.

Overall, this is a pretty book, but I suspect it might need some reader’s advisory help in order to go out. It might appeal to the reluctant reader, or the artist, but overall it confused this reader.

------
Source: Library copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment