Wednesday, April 11, 2012

My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend is a Monster #3)

Title: My Boyfriend Bites (My Boyfriend is a Monster #3)
Author:
Dan Jolley
Illustrator: Alitha E. Martinez
Publisher:
Graphic Universe (Lerner)
Copyright: 2011
Price: $29.27 ($21.95 for libraries)
ISBN: 978-0-7613-5599-1
-----------
Summary and Quick Thoughts: Vanessa Shingle repairs boyfriends. She seeks out what is wrong with him, figures out what he can do to improve himself, and sets out to do just that, with upsetting consequences. So, when the perfect fixer-upper boyfriend comes along in the form of Jean-Paul McClellan, she’s getting way more than she bargained for. First, she sets out to observe him and finds he can change into a bat and drinks blood. After that, vampires seem to be after her and he’s always there to rescue here. Way to send mixed signals, except Jean-Paul has a prophecy to destroy which includes vampires,and her destiny. Maybe after all that is dealt with Vanessa can go about fixing Jean-Paul, right?
---------
Recommended Audience: high school
--------
Things to be aware of: mild violence
----------
Further Thoughts: Oh man, vampires. I’m so over the vampire craze that my enjoyment of this book might have been dampened a little. The cover is reminiscent of a certain popular craze and unfortunately, the art has elements of the Twlight Manga, which makes me go eww. Not to mention, that some pages are dark edged and some are light edged, which I think means something, but I can’t figure it out.

I did enjoy this one though. Not as much, but a feisty heroine is still a good heroine to me. Yes, Vanessa needed a little more help from Jean-Paul than I thought was necessary, but Vanessa is a little lost about who she is and her future. The fact Jean-Paul puts her in her place regarding that in the end provides a great platform for “be yourself” and “don’t change others.” It is this speech at the end though that leaves the door wide open for this plot line and these characters to return.

Other characters though, I hope will return in volume 4. In volume 3, I finally noticed that the guidance counselor and the teacher are familiar. In book 2, in Alaska, we had Gary Barry, Guidance Counselor, and Mr. James, orchestra director. In this volume, in New Mexico, we have Gary Barry, Guidance Counselor, and Mr. James, English teacher. Mr. James plays a role in both of the plots and Gary “counsels” both main characters. I can’t wait to see if these guys appear again in volume 4. Something overarching is set up in these volumes and I can’t wait to start seeing them overlap, although, I’m not expecting it to happen until further down the line.

Once again, Graphic Universe has a good series on its hands. The artwork is consistent despite different illustrators (although, this volume had more soft edges than I liked) and the characters have a certain spunk and spirit that just continues through the story. Libraries with limited funds, looking for long lasting comic appeal, should really consider these.

------
Bonus: Character sketches, Q&A with Vanessa.

Source: Library Copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment