Wednesday, March 7, 2012

What's Up. Not Much. The Sky.

I took time to think about it. I took time to look at my new project. I poked around Netgalley for new graphic novels of interest. I read some really (laughably) bad YA novels. I read some intense non-fiction books. I took some time to realize I miss this.

I also took some to talk to my mom about this blog and her thoughts. She reads way more book blogs than I do and I knew I was aiming in the wrong direction. My intent was good, but my writing, not so much. Simply put, she was really helpful and insightful (Hi Mom!).

Basically, I'm back. Regular posts return for just Sundays at the moment unless I feel that some are worthy for you to read much, much sooner. I'm also going to be a lot more honest if I loved or hated the book. I'll also point out whether you should pick it up, or what you'll need to know in order to make the best decision for your collection. Simply, I'm planning to pick up where the review journals and other librarians left off. I'm planning to try to grab titles that for some reason are missed by the review journals.

I have a different perspective on graphic novels and libraries that needs to be heard. I know many librarians love certain graphic novels and I can tell why they do, but I don't love those titles and that's from years and years of reading graphic novels for fun (my favorite example: American Born Chinese sits on many a shelf, collecting dust. I can see why librarians loved it, but honestly, it doesn't appeal to your average teen reader for the most part).

Regarding the challenges this year: HECK WITH IT. I try the challenges every year and I lose sight halfway through the year for other reasons so I'm not even bothering. I just want to give you my take on graphic novels (and other stuff) and what I think.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment