Sunday, March 25, 2012

Manga Shakespeare: The Merchant of Venice

Title: Manga Shakespeare: The Merchant of Venice
Author: William Shakespeare (Adapter: Richard Appignanesi)
Illustrator: Faye Yong
Publisher: Amulet Books
Copyright: 2011
Price:  $10.95
ISBN: 978-0-8109-9717-2
-----------
Summary and Quick Thoughts:
I’m not going into a summary on this one. Simply: The Merchant of Venice told in a manga style…with elves. Dark haired and eye lined elves are Jews, blonde haired elves are Christians. This is more confusing and oddly disconcerting compared to seeing the play live (I think).
---------
Recommended Audience: High School
--------
Things to be aware of: Shakespeare?
----------
Further Thoughts: First, I adore the art, aside from what certain people represent. The art is flowy, entertaining and in a lovely manga style which drew me to this title in the first place. Yong does a lovely job representing the story, but it is a shame I was more confused in this story than anything else.

The adaptation is another story. While original Shakespeare language, and I assume lines, were used in the story, there are moments where the flow is interrupted and something is missed. I have not actually seen The Merchant of Venice yet, at all, and oddly, without the background knowledge, this is a confusing story. I understand that so-and-so is in love with so-and-so and this guy (well, the dark haired Jew) is the bad guy. So scary [/sarcasm]. The “opening credits,” in color, illustrated by Yong, easily told me who was who and introduced “the cast.” On the other hand, this is supposed to be a comedy and not a tragedy? Looking at the cover you’d think it was going to end badly.

What is disconcerting to me is how the difference between the Christians and Jews is night and day. I was informed by my mom and The Philosopher Musician that this is an anti-Semitic play. Ok, but why does this have to look like an issue of race?

I know there are better graphic novel adaptations out there and I keep wondering why these (Manga Shakespeare) keep coming out. I don't enjoy them when I read them and I need to learn that these titles are a pass, no matter what the review journals say.
------
Bonus:

Source: Library copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment