Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Oh! Shiny! Something new.

If you have been following my Twitter feed, you’ll know I just spent a few days at the PALA Annual Conference. One session I attended surprised me, was not what I expected, but was also an exciting new development with graphic novels. What was this new development?

Another book award.

The Lynd Ward Graphic Novel Prize which is presented by the Pennsylvania Center for the Book and is brand new. Oh, it is so sparkly and shiny, and there has only been one book winning and one book honored (neither of which I’ve heard a thing about) so far.

The session, titled Graphic Novels of the Year (which never really talked about specific graphic novels of the year, mainly nominees for the award whose titles I don’t really remember), introduced Lynd Ward, an artist whose work I am now interested in “reading”, and the creation and qualifications of the Lynd Ward Graphic Novel Prize. I’m not going to go into details because the site has the Prize detailed here. I’m interested in seeing where this goes.

Also, I didn’t realize the PA Center for the Book had some nice resources. For example, if you’re looking for a good definition of a graphic novel, they have it as part of the prize or if you’re looking for some links or resources, they’ve got a little. I’m hoping that they add more soon resources and information soon. This page could be really useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment