Wednesday, June 22, 2011

How I Made It To Eighteen: A Mostly True Story

Title: How I Made It to Eighteen: A Mostly True Story
Author: Tracy White
Illustrator: Tracy White
Publisher: Roaring Book Press
Copyright: 2010
Price: $16.00
ISBN: 978-1-59643-454-7
-----------
Summary and Quick Thoughts: No one saw it coming. Not even the four friends that Stacy has made over the years. The four friends who offer insight into Stacy’s choice are happy she’s made the decision and hope that maybe she can heal. Stacy Black is on the verge of a nervous breakdown. She’s depressed, she’s making bad decisions, and she’s self-destructing from eating disorders to smashing a window, which prompts her to seek help. This is Stacy’s story of sorting through her mind in the mental hospital.
---------
Intended Audience: Teens
--------
Things to be aware of: eating disorders
----------
Further Thoughts: First, I am completely aware that this title is a cathartic journey for the author. Tracy White is obviously writing herself in Stacy Black (the names are too similar) and in her own experiences, but I have to admit I was hoping for more from this story as it had been somewhat hyped up (it crossed my radar a few times).

As far as books on depression and the story of someone working through depression go, this is a weak choice. Stacy’s story somewhat meanders and she just can’t bring herself to break down. Her depression and need to heal was not real to me (and as a sufferer of depression, myself, I just couldn’t understand Stacy’s problems). I didn’t feel Stacy was at the end of her rope just yet when she checked in. The flow of the story attempts to mimic an episode of “Interventions” (or the like) where friends comment on the person in question and there are snippets of Doctor Reports to add background. The Doctor Reports certainly helped a reader understand the story, but the four friends offering input could have been stronger. Only two of the four friends actually made an appearance in the story. What I wanted was to see a reconnection with the other two or something. It was very unsatisfying.

The art is also not my style. It is simplistic and I suspect the author is a stronger artist than this work let’s on. Throughout the story I was reminded by the ALA 2009 Great Graphic Novel choice Tyranny which had more complex art to represent the depression and eating disorder. You could feel that character’s pain. I couldn’t feel Stacy’s so much.

All in all, public libraries that all ready have Tyranny will find this an additional purchase. In terms of bibliotherapy, this is a weaker title than Tyranny, which packs a stronger punch. I recognize that this is the type of book that might fall into the hands of someone who needs it; on the other hand, there are other, stronger, graphic novels that cover the same territory. School libraries would be a better audience for this title.
------
Bonus: ALA Great Graphic Novel 2011
------
Source: Library copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment