Saturday, October 31, 2009

Early Late Night Revelations

Movie nights are one of my favorite programs to host at the Public Library (this being the one I work at). As a program, it is a relatively a simple program to run. All the is required is a movie license, food, the movie, a projection system, and of course: TEENS. Lately, it seems my programs have been low in attendance, but that’s not what this post is about.

I’ve been down lately, which is surprising to many as I’m a peppy, bubbly person in real life. I hosted a move night on Friday night, and had an average attendance. After the program though, a teen and I ended up in a somewhat animated discussion. When his parent came to pick him up, he grew self-conscious and thought he was taking to long. His father actually seemed fine waiting a few more minutes while we wrapped up our discussion and I checked the teen’s books out with his new library card. The teen left, possibly “turned on” to the library as a concept, and before his dad left, he turned to me and thanked me for the programs at the library.

And this is why I chose this path.

1 comment:

  1. It is so nice to be thanked. You should remember that students are busy with sports, papers and many other activites. It's good that you have programs for the few students who aren't involed in school, those students really need a place to go. Have you tried reaching out to homeschool groups and advertising at the local schools? I wish our public library was like yours.

    ReplyDelete